Description and characteristics of geese of the Rhine breed, their diet and breeding
The Rhine geese were bred in Germany and are widespread in eastern Europe. These birds came to Russia in the sixties of the last century from Hungary. Rhine geese are characterized by high egg production and rapid development. To achieve good results in raising birds, it is important to provide them with proper care. Prevention of pathologies is of great importance.
Description and characteristics of the Rhine geese
The Rhine geese are characterized by excellent external data. That is why representatives of this breed often win prizes at international exhibitions. So, birds have the following features:
- Snow-white color with a silvery tint. At the same time, feathers do not change their shade even during molting. This feature distinguishes the Rhine geese from other breeds, which change color taking into account the seasonal factor or the weather.
- High quality down. Birds are characterized by strong feathers that fit tightly to the body.
- The knocked down torso. It is small in size. Also, birds are characterized by well-developed muscles.
- Rounded back. It slopes slightly towards the back of the body and gradually merges into the tail. There is a small tubercle on the back.
- Wide chest. She is considered to be well developed, short and muscular.
- Soft, convex belly. It contains some fat deposits. There is a double fold in the lower part of the abdomen.
- Wings set high. They cover their back completely and are covered with thick and soft feathers.
- Developed shins. They are closed to the middle with dorsal feathers.
- Small head. It is characterized by the correct shape. The head is on a strong neck.
- Orange paws. The beak has the same color.
- Dark blue eyes. They are characterized by their small size and round shape.
The Rhine geese are characterized by a compact build that looks quite harmonious. It should be borne in mind that individuals with a high body, an overly long neck, a sharp tail and dark feathers on the wings are recognized as defective birds. Such birds are discarded during infancy.
Positive and negative sides
Maintenance and care at home
It is recommended to properly equip the house for keeping geese.It should have wood flooring and solid planks. These birds do not require much space. However, 1 goose should have at least 0.5 cubic meters of space.
In warm weather, it is recommended to walk the birds in the fresh air. The state of their health largely depends on this. Ideally, geese should be kept outdoors all day and returned to the house overnight. If you do not walk the geese, there is a risk of developing pathologies. In this case, the birds will get sick even with proper nutrition.
It is also important to provide birds with water procedures in summer. Geese are clean. It is important for them to systematically take baths and clean their feathers. For such procedures, a small reservoir is suitable. If he is not nearby, it is worth putting a bath on the pasture. It is recommended to change the water every 3-4 days. In this case, the bath must be out of the reach of the sun.
Despite the frost resistance of birds, they are highly susceptible to drafts. Therefore, before winter, it is worth removing all the cracks and holes in the floor and walls. To obtain additional insulation, it is recommended to lay a layer of straw on the floor.
How to feed the birds?
These birds are distinguished by their undemanding nutrition. Fresh or dried grass is used as the basis of the diet. It is important for young geese to compose the menu carefully. For full development, they need vitamins and minerals. For this, juicy types of feed, fresh grains, chopped cabbage or beets, and corn cobs are used.
To provide the bird with calcium, it is recommended to add crushed egg shells to the main food once a week. At the same time, the daily amount of food for a young bird reaches 1 kilogram. The basis of the diet is fresh or dry grass.
Goose over 4 months old do not need feeding. Fresh and dried herbs in a ratio of 80:20 are enough for them. Adult birds can consume up to 2.5 kilograms of greens per day.
The Rhine geese are characterized by high parameters of egg production. At the same time, the ability of ganders to fertilize is considered rather low. In 1 year, this figure is 63-69%. In the second year, it is possible to get up to 40%. Moreover, other parameters are considered good enough:
- hatchability is 65-70%;
- the safety of young animals is at the level of 94-96%.
Geese rarely show maternal instinct. This is typical for only 5% of females. Therefore, incubation is considered the main method of breeding goslings.
Diseases and prevention
Sometimes geese are faced with unpleasant pathologies. Aspergillosis is considered a common disorder. It is provoked by molds. When they enter the respiratory system, they begin to develop there, producing toxins.
Another common pathology of geese is colibacillosis. Its causative agent is intestinal coli. When the immune system is weakened, there is a risk of damage to the intestines, ovaries, oviduct.
Non-infectious pathologies that are dangerous for geese include vitamin deficiency. At the same time, birds lag behind in development, lose their appetite and reduce productivity. To avoid dangerous pathologies, the following rules should be observed:
- disinfect the house;
- strengthen the immunity of birds;
- regularly vaccinate.
Rhine geese are considered to be very unpretentious, therefore they are very popular with farmers. However, birds need the right conditions and a balanced diet to be productive.